Unite Organiser vacancy in Canterbury
Unite has a vacancy for a permanent Organiser based in Canterbury.
The successful applicant will be based in our Christchurch office but will also have responsibility for members working members in Marlborough, Tasman and West Coast regions. They will primarily be recruiting and organising workers in the Fast Food sector but also in some other sectors that Unite represents (particularly Cinemas & Hotels).
The hours of work are flexible but we are requiring between 30-40 hours a week in total.
We are looking for applicants with:
- A strong commitment to working people and the union movement.
- An ability to improve the quality of Unite members’ working lives.
- The skills to develop and support members and delegates in dealing with issues impacting on their working lives.
- The ability to directly recruit new union members and support delegate recruitment on worksites.
- Negotiation skills are an advantage, however training will be provided.
- Excellent communication, advocacy and leadership skills.
- Good computer and social media skills.
- An ability to work accurately and efficiently under pressure, both independently and as part of a team.
- A current full driver’s licence (or significant progress towards a full licence).
- Skills and experience with migrant and/or young workers would be an advantage.
There are a number of options available for work transport, including reimbursement for the use of a personal vehicle, financial assistance to purchase a suitable vehicle and provision of union vehicle.
Terms and conditions are offered in accordance with the Unite Staff Employment Agreement. Unite is an accredited Living Wage employer.
A full job description can be downloaded here.
Please apply in writing (by email preferred), including a CV and contact details for up to three referees. Applications and requests for more information can be sent to:
Phone 021 02940345
Fax: 09 846 9509
PO Box 41211, St Lukes, Auckland 1346
Applications close 5pm on Friday 14th December 2018